Jackson Hole Winter Activities-by Jessica
Ahhhh, Jackson Hole winter memories.
It’s funny that, as someone who spent my childhood in Jackson Hole, I never picked up downhill skiing. When I did attempt it, I found myself too often either getting my skis crossed or doing the splits. And I never mastered speed control: I had to fall on purpose every time I picked up the slightest extra speed. So the learning curve required more falling and pain than was worth it for me. But I’ve had so much fun doing other winter sports! Here are my favorite Jackson Hole winter activities:
- Snowshoeing. This is great because you can go tromping off the trail and do your own exploring. I’ve heard there are moonlight snowshoe tours in the Grand Teton Park, which I haven’t done yet but sounds very cool!
- Cross-country skiing. I remember doing this with my grade school class along the Snake River. It takes a little more skill than snowshoeing and a lot less skill than downhill skiing.
- Snowboarding. I’ve had good memories snowboarding at Jackson Hole Mountain resort, as well has Targhee Resort which is about 70 miles from Jackson and has AMAZING views of the Grand Teton at the top of the slopes.
- Snowmobiling. If you are more in the mood for motor sports, I recommend a snowmobile tour through Yellowstone. This is especially exciting because you see the famous summer landmarks in a completely different landscape, with A LOT less people and no cars or tour buses!
- Going to a yurt. This is my verrry favorite winter activity! You usually get to these on snowshoes or skis. They are so cozy and peaceful and fun and adventurous! For information on a yurt near Jackson, visit this site: http://www.jacksonhole.com/yurt.html
I hope you’ll come to Jackson this winter and enjoy all there is to offer. Flat Creek Inn is offering a winter special: Stay 4 nights and get the 5th Free! This is good until March 25. For more info, just call the motel at 307-733-5276!
For more winter Wyoming inspiration, watch this video.